Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fresh Rhubarb




My mom has the most amazing rhubarb patch. It's been in her garden ever since I was a small child...and it was probably there long before me! This year was a good year for rhubarb (it got hailed on last year so the crop was small). I've been blessed with stock after stock of rhubarb. This year I am freezing most of it. It freezes well so that this winter, especially for the holidays, I can make pies with the rhubarb.


My coworker gave me a great rhubarb bread recipe. I can seriously eat a loaf in a whole sitting, it is that yummy. The recipe is below. I also found a recip online for strawberry rhubarb muffins. They turned out disappointing. I would like to find a recipe for muffins yet. If I had some free time (which I don't right now) I would expirement with recipes but for now, for the lack of hours in the day, I'll stick with the tried and true ones! Or the new ones I get to try first, before I bake them.

Rhubarb Bread
1.5 cups brown sugar
1 tsp soda
1 egg
2/3 cup oil
2 cup raw rhubarb
½ cup nuts
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2.5 cup flour
1 T soft butter
1 tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon

Mix together brown sugar, egg, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Sift together and add flour, salt and soda. Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Top with mixture of sugar, soft butter and cinnamon. Bake 350 for 60 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment