Thursday, June 2, 2011

Scrambled Egg Muffins





I love breakfast for dinner so that is what I had last night. I tried a new recipe last night: scrambled egg muffins. I had been wanting to try to make this for a while now as I had seen pictures posted online somewhere. I didn't follow a recipe but made it up as I went, using what I had in the hosue.

Scrambled Egg Muffins
3 eggs
3 egg whites
1/4 cup water (I was out of milk)
1/4 cup cheese, divided
1/2 can (small one) mushrooms
3 T salsa
1/8 cup chopped onion
1/8 cup chopped green peppers
1/4 cup ham

Preheat oven to 300. Sautee the onion, peppers and mushrooms. In a mixing bowl add eggs and water. Mix. Add salsa, onion, peppers, mushroom, ham and half the cheese. Mix.

My muffin pan held eight though I feel the mixture would have worked to make six. I lined it with cupcake paper. I poured the mixture evenly between. The mixture doesn't rise so you can fill it to the top.

Bake for about 15 minutes. When the muffins are no longer soggy, sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly on top. Bake for about another 5-7 minutes or until the muffins are firm.

I did notice that as the cupcake paper cooled, it bcame soggy so once they were cooled, I removed the paper, put them in a baggy and popped them in the freezer for future use. Next time I will use aluminum cupcake liners. And I can't wait to try other meats (bacon, sausage) and veggies.

Best part is, each muffin is only 62 calories!




No comments:

Post a Comment